Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Mall Operator Simon Property Buying a Major Competitor

By Daniel B. Kline – Feb 10, 2020 at 11:20AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Retail is changing and consolidation may make sense.

Simon Property Group (SPG -2.66%) still believes in malls.

The owner of upscale shopping centers has agreed to buy 80% of Taubman Centers (TCO). Simon will buy all of the common shares available at $52.50 per share in cash while the Taubman family will sell about one-third of its ownership interest, remaining a 20% partner in the Taubman brand (but won't have any equity in Simon).

In the deal worth $3.6 billion, Simon will be paying a just-over 50% premium on where the stock closed on Friday.

A woman in a mall holds a phone and shopping bags.

Upscale and higher-end malls have done better than lower-end ones. Image source: Getty Images.

What is Simon getting?

Taubman owns "24 high-quality retail assets (including 21 in the United States and 3 in Asia), consisting of approximately 25 million feet of gross leasable area," according to a press release. The current Taubman management team will remain in place.

"By joining together, we will enhance the ability of TRG [Taubman] to invest in innovative retail environments that create exciting shopping and entertainment experiences for consumers, immersive opportunities for retailers, and substantial new job prospects for local communities," said Simon CEO Davi Simon in the press release.

Why is Simon doing this?

While lower-tier malls and shopping centers have struggled, Simon's higher-end malls have been able to adapt to changes in consumer discretionary spending. It has found a formula to evolve its malls adding events, gyms, co-working spaces, and even hotels to enhance its properties.

Being bigger should only enhance the company and give it more leverage with prospective tenants. Two like companies coming together should make a stronger whole (albeit at a steep premium on the stock price).

 

Daniel B. Kline has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Simon Property Group, Inc. Stock Quote
Simon Property Group, Inc.
SPG
$90.07 (-2.66%) $-2.46
Taubman Centers, Inc. Stock Quote
Taubman Centers, Inc.
TCO

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
342%
 
S&P 500 Returns
107%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 09/29/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.