Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Coronavirus Pandemic Puts Upjohn-Mylan Megamerger on Hold

By Cory Renauer - Mar 26, 2020 at 12:33PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Pfizer's plan to merge its post-exclusivity segment with Mylan will have to wait.

Pfizer's (PFE -1.69%) plans to merge its huge post-exclusivity segment, Upjohn, with another giant drugmaker, Mylan (MYL) hit a coronavirus induced snag. According to Mylan, the plan to create a new company with between $19 billion and $20 billion in combined annual revenue will require more old-fashioned face-to-face time to complete than either company can responsibly allow during the coronavirus pandemic.

No additional changes 

The timing is the only part of the deal that the two companies expect to alter. The transaction was expected to take place during the first half of 2020, but now the partners are anticipating it will close in the second half of the year. 

Working at home with face mask.

Image source: Getty Images.

Mylan had scheduled the necessary extraordinary general meeting of its shareholders for April 27. That has now been rescheduled to occur in conjunction with its annual general meeting of shareholders on June 30.

A profit-producing behemoth

In 2020, Pfizer expects its Upjohn segment to earn between $3.8 billion and $4.2 billion before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA). Mylan expects its operations to deliver between $3.2 billion and $3.9 billion in EBITDA this year.

Once the transaction closes, Pfizer shareholders will own 57% of the new company, to be called Viatris, and Mylan shareholders will own the other 43%. 

Pfizer intends to make the transition as painless as possible for shareholders who have gotten used to its regular dividend payments. With somewhere between $7 billion and $8 billion in annual EBITDA to work with, Viatris shouldn't have any trouble committing to combined quarterly dividends that will add up for patient investors.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Pfizer Inc. Stock Quote
Pfizer Inc.
PFE
$51.55 (-1.69%) $0.89
Viatris Inc. Stock Quote
Viatris Inc.
MYL

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
311%
 
S&P 500 Returns
110%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 07/01/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.