Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Free Article Join Over 1 Million Premium Members And Get More In-Depth Stock Guidance and Research

Why Oceaneering International Stock Is Rallying Today

By Matthew DiLallo - Jan 6, 2021 at 3:15PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The offshore service company scored some big wins.

What happened

Shares of Oceaneering International ( OII -1.41% ) rallied more than 10% by 2:30 p.m. EST on Wednesday. Fueling the oil stock's rise were several contract awards. 

So what

Oceaneering International has won several significant contracts since the start of the fourth quarter totaling more than $250 million in value. The arrangements are from several major customers and range in term from three to five years. About 55% are renewals of existing contracts while the other 45% is new business. 

offshore drilling rig with several vessels

Image source: Getty Images.

The company noted that the "scopes of work for these contracts include software, data services, monitoring and diagnostic services, integrity management, remote integrity engineering, and remote and onsite inspection services for both brownfield and greenfield projects onshore and offshore." The awards are in Qatar, Angola, Azerbaijan, the U.S., and Australia. They cover vessels, LNG plants, LNG storage facilities, terminals, and production facilities. 

Now what

These agreements will provide Oceaneering International with some steady work over the next several years. While they aren't needle-moving considering that the company generated $427 million of revenue in the third quarter, they suggest that current and new customers value the company's portfolio of service and product offerings. If it can continue to secure more work, it will help lift the weight of uncertainty that has cut the stock by more than a third over the past year as the oil market downturn has impacted its operations, financial results, and outlook. 

This article represents the opinion of the writer, who may disagree with the “official” recommendation position of a Motley Fool premium advisory service. We’re motley! Questioning an investing thesis – even one of our own – helps us all think critically about investing and make decisions that help us become smarter, happier, and richer.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Oceaneering International, Inc. Stock Quote
Oceaneering International, Inc.
OII
$11.23 (-1.41%) $0.16

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning service.

Stock Advisor Returns
640%
 
S&P 500 Returns
139%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 12/03/2021.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Our Most Popular Articles

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with the Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from the Motley Fool's premium services.