OK, it's time to come clean. Yesterday was April 1, otherwise known as April Fool's Day. And our annual shenanigans fooled some of you! ("Taking a six-month break?! That's an April Fool's joke, right?")
But as Brian Richards and Tim Hanson pointed out, "The market's been crazy lately, but now's no time to bury your head in the sand." As investors, it's important to remember that we sign up for market swings the minute we invest a single dollar. Running away for six months is not only un-Foolish, but it's not going to make the markets rebound any sooner. And while it was heartwarming to receive kind remarks about pursuing a non-investing endeavor ("Take the 6 months off, I would still be there"), we're ready to roll up our sleeves and resume providing you with the insightful analysis that you have come to know and love here at the Fool.
Here's to another great April Fool's! We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Here, by popular demand, is our list of the top 11 April Fool's responses (that were deemed suitable for publication on our site):
11. "I listen to a radio station for the music, not the commercials. Why would I look at a stock website talking about spatulas?"
10. "I guess this would not be a good day to ask you for a multibagger in the making?"
9. "What's with you guys. I just recently subscribed to Stock Advisor and now I am to study spatulas instead of stocks? Has the fluctuating market frightened you into this radical behavior? What's a fool to do?"
8. "I completely agree!! Everyone is getting so wound up lately. As for myself, please send me an advance copy of ‘Spatulas and You: A Buyer's Guide.' I don't know how to cook but am very interested in learning and I would be willing to pay a premium. Besides, I think this will give me needed insight into the fast food industry and an edge on picking stocks like Middleby."
7. "April ... Fools! Ha, ha, ha. (Okay, it took me a minute. I'm putting my weapons away.)"
6. "I also can't wait to see how my body fat percentage increases following the MF Workout recommendations and I look forward to finding the perfect margarita and a really good spatula (must be the pharmacist in me)."
5. "While I'm sure there will be great value in your spatulas guide, you just haven't convinced me this is your forte. OK, maybe the cocktails focus may better fit you all ..."
4. "They got me too. After I read the letter from Dave and Tom, my first reaction was, wait a minute, I'm paying for stock ideas, not Guitar Hero tips. Then it dawned on me what today is and I had a good laugh. Now that I've thought about it for a few minutes, maybe I should be paying somebody for Guitar Hero tips too."
3. "I heartily agree with the six-month change of focus for Motley Fool. We could all use a refreshing break. However, you'll have to work diligently to not have investment information creep into some of the articles. For example, who knew what a popular, and presumably profitable, investment that Spatula City might be? Or how the profits of Bacardi might change because of the Fool's mention of Bombay Sapphire gin? (Or who knew how my colleagues came knocking on the door to find out why I was laughing so hard out loud!!!)"
2. "I don't care how much ‘passion and zeal' you bring to these topics which you have arbitrarily chosen, this is not what I paid you for and I think it [is] an outrageous affront to [offer] this instead of what I paid for. If I want information on these topics [I] can get it for free from many of the Web sites I visit normally."
1. "Yeah, and I'm going to mix up some of Tim Hanson's mojitos, get drunk and buy all the overpriced solar stocks I can find until you get back."
Here's a full list of our April Fool's content, if you missed any of the Foolish fare:
- A Letter From Tom and David Gardner
- Sharpen Your Intellect With Strategy Board Games
- Fool Video: Exclusive First Look at Fool Video's New Programming
- Dueling Fools: Jack Bauer vs. Chuck Norris
- Getting the Most From Your Workout
- Now Is the Time to Start Drinking Scotch
- Spatulas and You: A Buyer's Guide
- My TV Is So Cool
- 4 Books You Must Read Now
- Guitar Hero 101
- "Lost": Lessons for the Office
- Get the Physique of Top Athletes
- Breeding Crickets for Fun and Profit
- The Has-Been Who Saved the World
- Today When I Googled Myself
- Five Cliches That Are Great Life Advice
- Are You a Rule Breaker?
- Why Do Your Colleagues Drive You Crazy?
- The Five Greatest Ryan Reynolds Performances
- Scranton Area Paper Company Dunder Mifflin Apologizes to Valued Client; Some Companies Still Don't Know How Business Is Done
- The Motley Fool to Debut Reality Television Show
Fool sector editor Katrina Chan does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned. Middleby is a Hidden Gems recommendation. The Motley Fool has a soft spot for April 1 every year and hopes you do too. Oh, and we also have a disclosure policy.