Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Ask a Fool: What's the Best Way to Invest for College Expenses?

By Matthew Frankel, CFP® - Feb 9, 2018 at 12:00PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Here's a rundown of the different types of college savings accounts.

Q: I'd like to start saving now for my 3-year-old daughter's college education. What's the best type of account?

There are three main tax-advantaged investment accounts you can use to save for college.

A 529 savings plan is an account run by the states, and has high contribution limits. Investment options are set up similar to a 401(k), with a basket of investment funds to choose from.

A Coverdell Education Savings Account, or Coverdell ESA, has lower contribution limits, but gives you the flexibility to invest in virtually any stocks, bonds, or funds you want.

Finally, a Roth IRA is generally thought of as a retirement account, but there's a special provision that lets you use IRA funds for college expenses penalty-free. This could be a smart option if you want the flexibility to eventually use the money for something other than education if you end up not needing it. You could use a traditional IRA, but doing so would likely increase your tax bill significantly in the years when you need to withdraw the money.

All three have the same basic tax structure. Contributions aren't tax-deductible, but withdrawals used for qualifying education expenses are tax-free, no matter how much your investments have grown. Since they are run by the states, many 529 savings plans have the added benefit of state-tax-deductible contributions.

As a parent of young children myself, I primarily use a 529 savings plan for college savings since our state allows 529 contributions to be deducted, but there are certainly advantages to all three. The most important thing is to start early and contribute regularly. Tax-free compounding and time will do the rest.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
S&P 500 Returns

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 06/28/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.