Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

L Brands Beats Earnings Expectations Before Taking Victoria's Secret Private

By John Ballard - Updated Feb 27, 2020 at 6:04PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Victoria's Secret continued to weigh on sales, but management is hopeful a turnaround is in store with the sale to Sycamore Partners.

Expectations have been very low for L Brands (BBWI 1.91%), due to the weak performance of the Victoria's Secret brand. After initially cutting its outlook for the holiday quarter, the company reported better-than-expected earnings for the fourth quarter. 

Non-GAAP (adjusted) earnings of $1.88 were down from $2.14 in the year-ago period but beat the consensus analyst estimate of $1.86. Revenue also came in slightly ahead of expectations at $4.71 billion, but was down 3% year over year, as the Victoria's Secret business continued to pressure the top and bottom line for the company. 

A Victoria's Secret store.

Image source: L Brands.

Same old story, but there's opportunity on the horizon

The stock is down about 3% as of 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, which is understandable even with the earnings beat. It's not impressive to outperform already low expectations. While the Bath & Body Works business is growing, with comparable sales up 10%, Victoria's Secret saw its comparable sales fall 10% in the fourth quarter. 

On Feb. 20, L Brands announced Sycamore Partners would acquire a 55% interest in Victoria's Secret, leaving L Brands with a minority stake of 45%. Sycamore has extensive experience in the retail industry. Management believes this will allow investors to properly value the Bath & Body Works business, which comprises most of the company's operating income, while allowing Sycamore to do a makeover of the underwear business to get it growing again. 

With L Brands retaining a 45% interest in Victoria's Secret, shareholders will still be able to benefit if the brand takes off again. It will be an uphill climb for VS, but if (and it's a big "if") the iconic apparel brand reaches its historic profitability levels, the stock could take off as well.

John Ballard has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Bath & Body Works, Inc. Stock Quote
Bath & Body Works, Inc.
BBWI
$39.99 (1.91%) $0.75

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
389%
 
S&P 500 Returns
125%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 08/12/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.