Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Shares of Ulta Beauty Are Moving Up Today

By John Rosevear - Updated Mar 13, 2020 at 11:13AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Good earnings and a solid 2020 forecast are giving this stock a boost.

What happened

Shares of Ulta Beauty (ULTA -2.35%) were rising on Friday morning after the company reported strong earnings and a better-than-expected sales increase. 

As of 10:15 a.m. EDT, Ulta's shares were up about 7% from Thursday's closing price.

So what

Ulta reported earnings for the quarter that ended on Feb. 1, and they were good. Net income rose 3.7% to $222.7 million on a 8.5% increase in sales. Comparable sales, or year-over-year sales for stores open for more than 14 months, increased 4%. That was down from 9.8% in the year-ago period, but it was better than the 3.38% increase expected by Wall Street analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.

A row of lipstick testers in a cosmetics store

Image source: Getty Images.

Guidance was also solid. The company expects to open about 75 net new stores in fiscal 2020, which, along with comparable sales growth of 3% to 4%, will help increase total sales by 7% to 8%, it forecasts. Investors should expect capital expenditures between $280 million and $300 million, it said. 

Now what

There was an important footnote to that guidance: It doesn't include assumptions related to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus. With retail sales traffic already falling in the United States as consumers avoid crowded areas, Ulta's guidance assumptions might have to be revised downward in a month or two. Stay tuned.  

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Ulta Beauty, Inc. Stock Quote
Ulta Beauty, Inc.
ULTA
$343.05 (-2.35%) $-8.26
Thomson Reuters Corporation Stock Quote
Thomson Reuters Corporation
TRI
$96.77 (1.21%) $1.16

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning service.

Stock Advisor Returns
331%
 
S&P 500 Returns
115%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 05/20/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.