Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Brookfield Bags the Biggest Energy Infrastructure Deal of 2020

By Matthew DiLallo – Jun 23, 2020 at 12:24PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The asset management giant and its partners are paying $10.1 billion for a stake in pipelines in the Middle East.

A consortium of six investors, including Brookfield Asset Management (BAM -2.97%), has agreed to a massive energy infrastructure deal. The group will invest $10.1 billion into a natural gas pipeline business in the United Arab Emirates. It's the biggest-ever energy infrastructure investment in the region and the largest such deal of 2020.

The Brookfield consortium will pay $10.1 billion for a 49% stake in a newly formed subsidiary of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), valuing the assets at $20.7 billion. ADNOC will retain the other 51% stake in the business, known as ADNOC Gas Pipeline Assets. That subsidiary will hold the lease rights to 38 gas pipelines that support ADNOC's operations. The national oil company will manage the pipeline operations as well as remain responsible for capital spending. 

Two people shaking hands with pipelines in the background

Image source: Getty Images.

Brookfield joined the group of winning bidders this spring. The company added its extensive infrastructure experience and financial firepower to the consortium, given the large war chests of its private equity funds and access to financing.

Meanwhile, the draw for investors like Brookfield is the stable cash flow these pipelines generate. ADNOC will lease its ownership of the pipeline assets to ADNOC Gas Pipelines for 20 years in exchange for a volume-based tariff. The deal will provide the subsidiary with steady cash flow, all of which it intends to distribute to its owners via quarterly dividends. That structure makes it an attractive investment for Brookfield's institutional clients, like pension funds, which favor stable returns.

Matthew DiLallo owns shares of Brookfield Asset Management. The Motley Fool owns shares of and recommends Brookfield Asset Management. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Brookfield Asset Management Stock Quote
Brookfield Asset Management
BAM
$42.11 (-2.97%) $-1.29

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
339%
 
S&P 500 Returns
109%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 10/07/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.