Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Never Mind! Italian Defense Contractor Cancels U.S. IPO Nine Days After Announcing It

By Lou Whiteman - Updated Mar 25, 2021 at 9:42AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The company cited market volatility in announcing the reversal.

Italian defense contractor Leonardo DRS (FINMY 1.05%) has tapped the brakes on a planned New York offering of its U.S. subsidiary, just nine days after announcing the initial public offering (IPO).

In a statement, Leonardo said, "adverse market conditions did not allow an adequate valuation of DRS," but said it could revisit an IPO later when market conditions are more favorable.

Aerial view of the Pentagon.

Image source: Getty Images.

On March 15, the Italian company announced plans to sell 31.9 million shares of its Leonardo DRS unit, hoping to raise more than $600 million to be used to pay down some of the parent's more than 3 billion euros ($3.55 billion) in debt. Post-deal, the public would have owned 22% of DRS, with Leonardo owning the remaining 78%.

Leonardo's announcement doesn't offer much clarity explaining the abrupt reversal, citing the adverse conditions that were pressuring valuation but also saying that the company saw "investor interest within the price range during the course of the roadshow."

An investment banking source said that Leonardo management was afraid the IPO would be met with volatility, with Reuters reporting that demand for the shares was skewed toward hedge funds and other investors deemed speculative. The banking source said Leonardo remains interested in doing the IPO, but intends to wait until U.S. markets are more receptive to defense stocks and the offering might be more receptive to more buy-and-hold institutions.

Defense stocks have been under pressure of late due to fears that a combination of a new administration and the need to pay for COVID-19 stimulus will eat into the Pentagon budget.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Leonardo S.p.a. Stock Quote
Leonardo S.p.a.
FINMY
$5.28 (1.05%) $0.06

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning service.

Stock Advisor Returns
334%
 
S&P 500 Returns
117%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 05/24/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.