Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Denison Mines Stock Jumped 11% Today

By Howard Smith - May 5, 2021 at 4:44PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The mining company made an offer to acquire another Canadian uranium exploration company.

What happened

Shares of Canadian uranium exploration, development, and production company Denison Mines (DNN 0.00%) jumped double digits today after the company made an offer to buy JCU Exploration. Denison shares closed today's session 11% higher. 

So what

Yesterday, Denison made an offer to Overseas Uranium Resources Development (OURD) to acquire 100% ownership of JCU, a subsidiary of OURD. In a statement, Denison management said "Denison welcomes the opportunity to build on its long history of partnership with OURD and JCU to effect the acquisition of JCU, as presented in the Denison Offer, and bring significant additional benefit to the shareholders of OURD." But there's a complication, too. 

Winter photo of Denison Mines Wheeler River uranium project

Wheeler River uranium project. Image source: Denison Mines.

Now what

In late April, Canadian uranium and cobalt exploration and development company UEX also offered to acquire JCU, and it says that its deal is binding after it was approved by the OURD board of directors. UEX added in a statement, "The UEX Agreement with OURD is binding and enforceable and it is not open to OURD to consider any competing proposals."

Denison's flagship project is the Wheeler River uranium project in northern Saskatchewan, Canada. The project is 90% owned by Denison, with the remaining 10% belonging to JCU. Denison is offering to buy JCU with cash on hand for up to CAD$40.5 million, as well as the assumption of debt. 

Denison said its offer is binding subject to "the termination of OURD's existing definitive purchase agreement with UEX Corporation in accordance with its terms." Shareholders today seem to think that Denison will be able to get the mining deal done. 

Howard Smith has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Denison Mines Corp. Stock Quote
Denison Mines Corp.
DNN
$1.21 (0.00%) $0.00

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
389%
 
S&P 500 Returns
125%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 08/12/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.