Finding a needle in a haystack really isn't so hard, as long as you start your search right where the needle is.
Although shares of coal miners have essentially been run off a cliff since June, the evidence indicating that we haven't heard the last from coal is easy to locate; as long as Fools are looking in the right places. Since June, shares of the Van Eck Market Vectors Coal ETF
Beginning as a typical correction for a commodity sector that was truly on fire, the pain for investors in coal mining stocks has since been exacerbated by a 20% decline in spot prices for thermal coal in Asia, a broader energy correction that included a 45% drop in natural gas prices, and a suddenly strengthening U.S. dollar.
As a result, we find former highfliers like Patriot Coal
- The world's largest thermal coal exporter, XSTRATA, recently proposed a 40% price hike for coal sold to Japanese utilities.
(NASDAQ:JOYG)reports that thermal coal supplies in China remain below a three-day supply.
- Coal imports in Taiwan rose 7% in July from prior-year levels, after a 14% decline reported for June.
- London-based IPSA Group will double its capacity to build power plants in South Africa, even as the world's largest coal export terminal is considering further additions to the capacity expansions already under way.
- Acquisition activity within the sector has continued unabated, including Teck Cominco's
(NYSE:TCK)purchase of profitable JV partner Fording Canadian Coal Trust.
- Australian miner Straits Resources last week called the outlook for thermal coal prices "extremely favorable," citing "unprecedented tightness due to strong demand from Asia."
- At the last G-8 forum, coal was a major focal point among proposed answers to the world's insatiable thirst for energy.
Accommodations aboard the coal train have not been terribly cozy of late, but this Fool remains aboard for the long haul.
The "Coal" tag within the Motley Fool CAPS community lists 21 coal companies. Find out what other investors are saying about the stocks you're watching, or share your Foolish thoughts with us. CAPS is free and fun!
Fool contributor Christopher Barker captains yachts and writes about stocks. He can be found blogging actively and acting Foolishly within the CAPS community under the username TMFSinchiruna. He owns shares of Peabody Energy, Teck Cominco, and the Van Eck Market Vectors Coal ETF. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.