Barack Obama was elected the next president of the United States of America on Tuesday night, but Wall Street isn't finished voting yet. Following the election, the market experienced its worst two-day drop in history, with the Dow losing 929.49 points, or 9.6%. Investors seem to be having a presidential hangover. This may be shocking to some, but our Fool Poll revealed that John McCain was slightly favored in the eyes of investors.
It's a time for change
Regardless of how investors choose to react to the news, President-elect Obama is ready to take his post for the next four years come January. And the Fool is here to give you the scoop on just what he will bring to the table and how it all might affect your portfolio.
Of course, the global economic crisis continues to sit front and center. With companies such as American Express
Economic policy changes don't stop short at our borders. We'll look at Obama's view of interrelations between countries such as China, the U.S., Brazil, and Australia, and how companies such as Rio Tinto fit in.
Life goes on
Economic policy is at the top of everyone's mind, but there's a breadth of other topics that will play a role in your portfolio. How will Obama's war plan affect the defense sector, and the likes of General Dynamics and Boeing
Get to know your new president
Having a new leader at the helm is an exciting time, but as we've already witnessed, it also results in both anxiety and opportunity for investors. Check out what's in store for our nation during the next four years and what it means for your portfolio.
- Defense -- In Defense of Obama
- Energy -- Obama on Energy
- Free trade -- Obama: No Free Pass for Free Trade
- Global economy -- Will Obama End Global Trade?
- Government spending -- What Obama's Spending Plans Mean for Your Portfolio
- Housing -- Obama's First Task: Rebuilding Our Housing
- Health care -- Will Obama Make Your Portfolio Healthy?
- Taxes -- Is an Obama Tax Storm Looming?
- Technology -- 3 Tech Stocks for an Obama Administration
- U.S. economy -- Will Obama's Stimulus Plan Work?
- Retirement -- Obama and Your Golden Years
Pfizer and Bank of America are Motley Fool Income Investor recommendations. Pfizer, and American Express are Inside Value recommendations. Google is a Rule Breakers selection. The Fool owns shares of Pfizer and American Express. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.