Tip your hat to mark the passing of 2009 --
even if the market now and then would lose its mind.
The Dow's finishing the year aloft by -- phew -- 20%;
Perhaps, at last, the doomsayers and naysayers are spent.
Obama moved to D.C., and the country kept him busy.
His health-care bill drove legislators right into a tizzy.
2009 exposed a pile of putrid Ponzi schemes,
Preying on unfortunates with get-rich-quickly dreams.
Periodic public panic? Thank the market, or swine flu,
Not to mention pink slips issued at Sprint
Bank execs repaid the TARP to keep their parachutes gold.
And like that mineral's rising price, their paychecks stayed bankrolled.
An irate ex went after David Letterman for cash,
But Tiger Woods lost even more in one unlucky crash.
For its gas-guzzling line of cars, GM had no defense.
So Uncle Sam gave $50 billion -- how does that make sense?
We gave out cash for clunkers, and for anything with wheels;
Low interest rates gave homebuyers a slew of housing steals.
The Yankees won the series; Avatar's a big success;
and hefty gains left Sirius
Now, as we draw the curtain on the best of 2-K-9,
let's hope 2010 becomes the market's year to shine.
A look back at 2009:
- What Was Your Worst Investment Mistake in 2009?
- The Hottest New Products and Trends of 2009
- 2009: The Year That Ruined Retail
- The Financial Lessons of 2009
- Will 2009's Hottest Stocks Be 2010's?
- 2009: A Year in Streaming
- Hey! Who's Flying This Thing? (The 2009 Boxed Set)
- 2009 Biotech Cheers and Jeers
- 2009 Cheers and Jeers for Pharma
- 2009: The Year Pharma Learned to Love Itself
- The Biggest No-Brainer Buys of 2009 (and 2010?)
- Where the Big Bucks Were in 2009
- 2009: The Year Borrowers Got a Clue
- The Past Decade in 50 Headlines
- 3 People Who Spoke Up in 2009
- The Decade's 10 Biggest Bankruptcies
- The Worst Footnote of the Year
- 2009: The Year in Tech
- 2009: One Long, Baffling Spit-Take
Predictions for 2010:
- The Best Stocks for 2010
- Roundtable: The Biggest Investing Danger in 2010
- 3 Stocks to Avoid in 2010
- 5 Stocks That Should Beat the Market
- The Global Industrial Outlook for 2010
- 3 Predictions for 2010
- 5 More Predictions for 2010
- What Will Be the Best Stock for 2010?
- Get Ready for a Bumpy 2010
- The 10 Best Stocks for 2010
- Which Company Is Destined to Fail in 2010?
- 7 IPOs I Would Love to See in 2010
- The Key to Investing Better in 2010
- The Top Profit Opportunity of 2010
- What's the Best Tech Stock for 2010?
- Don't Ignore These Winners in 2010
- Cash In on Alcohol Deals in 2010
- Where to Gamble in 2010
- Expect More of This in 2010
- Avoid This Sector in 2010
- The Best Bargain for 2010?
- Why the 2010s Will Be a Great Decade
- Where's Potash Headed in 2010?
- 2010 FDA Decisions to Watch
Katrina Chan owns no shares of any of the companies mentioned. Ford and Yahoo! are Motley Fool Stock Advisor selections. Sprint Nextel is a Motley Fool Inside Value recommendation. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy that doesn't want to be tardy for the party.