The Department of Defense issued some 22 separate contract awards Thursday, totaling just under $1 billion in combined value. Not all of them went to publicly traded defense contractors, of course, but enough of them did to be worth mentioning. Here are a few of the lucky winners:
- Roomba maker iRobot (NASDAQ:IRBT) was awarded an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, firm-fixed-price contract worth up to $30 million for the supply of "robotic systems and spare parts" to the U.S. Army. Specific robot models were not named, but the contract more likely deals with PackBots bomb-disposal robots than with small, autonomous vacuum cleaners.
- Raytheon (NYSE:RTN) won a contract nearly as big -- a $22.4 million order placed against a previously issued basic ordering agreement for the supply of 53 ECP-6279 retrofit kits for installation aboard Navy F/A-18 E/F fighter jets and EA-18G electronic warfare aircraft. Raytheon is expected to complete delivery by July 2015.
- Oshkosh's (NYSE:OSK) contract was even bigger -- a $40.4 million award for the supply of "Armor B-Kits" to up-armor medium tactical vehicles for the Army.
- Aeroflex (NYSE:ARX), in contrast, won a smaller $15.2 million award to supply and maintain ground radio maintenance automatic test systems, or GRMATS. Up to 300 GRMATS are covered by the award, and work is to be completed by Aug. 25, 2014.
- Rounding out this list, L-3 Communications (NYSE:LLL) won $10.2 million to pay for the exercise of two options for design and installation services for an undersea warfare training range (USWTR) off the coast of Jacksonville, Fla., for the Navy. Construction is to be complete by May 2019.
Fool contributor Rich Smith has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends iRobot and owns shares of L-3 Communications Holdings and Raytheon. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
More from The Motley Fool
Step Aside, Ripple and Stellar: Qtum Just Landed 2 Big Partners in 2 Days
This blockchain developer means business.
Congress Just Opened This $10 Billion Can of Worms
One set of taxpayers will see big changes next year thanks to tax reform.
3 Healthcare Stocks to Buy for 2018
These three healthcare gems look poised for prosperity.