Eric Bleeker, CFA has no position in any stocks mentioned. Max Macaluso, Ph.D. owns shares of Apple. The Motley Fool recommends Apple, Google (A shares), and Google (C shares). The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple, Google (A shares), and Google (C shares). Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Eric Bleeker, CFA and Max Macaluso
Jul 23, 2014 at 8:00PM
Samsung is reportedly responding to Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) Nest and Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) HomeKit by investing in its own home-automation division. Multiple reports have Samsung closing in on buying SmartThings, which allows you to connect devices in your home -- from thermostats to lights -- to your mobile phone in a centralized app. The deal is said to be around $200 million dollars, though it's not yet official.
In the This Week in Tech video below, The Motley Fool's general manager and senior tech analyst, Eric Bleeker, and tech bureau chief, Max Macaluso, talk about Samsung's latest foray into the Internet of Things and how it might do against products from Google and Apple.
- Jul 23, 2014 at 8:00PM
- Technology and Telecom
Alphabet (A shares)
Alphabet (C shares)
- A Foolish Take: As iPhone Sales Rebound, Apple's CEO Bets on More Smartphone Growth
- 7 Surprising Metrics Highlight 1 Major Catalyst for Apple, Inc. Stock: Services
- Apple's China Business Is Bouncing Back
- Apple, Inc.'s First 2 Original TV Shows Are Almost Here
- 4 Reasons Why Apple's R&D Spending Is On the Rise, According to CFO Luca Maestri