Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Kythera Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. Stock Soared Today

By George Budwell - Jun 17, 2015 at 10:01AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Kythera Biopharmaceuticals stock exploded higher today. Here's why.

What: Shares of Kythera Biopharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: KYTH) shot up by 22% today after the company agreed to sell itself to Botox-maker Allergan (AGN) for $75 per share, or $2.1 billion. Through this deal, Allergan will gain access to Kythera's newly-approved injected cosmetic treatment, Kybella, for submental fat, commonly known as "double chin". In addition, Allergan will add a host of intriguing experimental candidates in the cosmetic drug arena to its clinical pipeline, such as setipiprant for male pattern baldness. Per the press release, Kythera shareholders will receive 80% of the transaction in cash and the remaining 20% in the form of Allergan shares. 

So what: Kythera's management believes Kybella could generate roughly $500 million in domestic sales, and a similar amount overseas down the road. If this line holds, Allergan just executed perhaps the best deal in the pharmaceutical industry, from a valuation creation standpoint, in recent memory. 

Now what: Allergan is uniquely positioned to launch Kybella given its strong presence in the facial cosmetic market with Botox. In fact, there is a good chance that there will end up being a fair amount of cross-over between the Botox and Kybella target markets. As such, this novel product should contribute almost immediately to the drugmaker's top-line, making it a key drug to watch going forward.  

 

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Allergan plc Stock Quote
Allergan plc
AGN

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
336%
 
S&P 500 Returns
115%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 06/25/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.