New York City's board of health voted yesterday to ban the use of trans fat in all of its 24,000 restaurants. Estimating it will save hundreds of lives per year, the board is giving chefs 18 months to find suitable replacement oils for all their frying needs.
The New York ban may have nationwide implications, according to experts, because chains ranging from McDonald's
Emboldened by this initiative, might New York officials be considering other measures as well?
Top 10 Other Things New York May Ban
10. The Knicks.
9. Hot dogs with more than 20% pigeon content.
8. Cheering at Jets games (to protect citizens' vocal cords).
7. Red socks.
6. Mispronouncing "forget about it."
3. The letter R.
2. Eye contact.
- Top 10 Vanity License Plates
- Top 10 Non-Financial Restatements
- Top 10 Other Google Discarded Projects
- Top 10 Complaints From PlayStation 3 Shoppers
See all of our investing recommendations -- not yet banned in New York -- here.