When you're checking out a bank, what questions should you ask? Here are a few:
- What's the interest rate on various accounts?
- What's the minimum deposit necessary to open various accounts? What about the minimum balance necessary to avoid fees once the accounts are open?
- What is the per-check charge? What is the charge for ordering new checks? Will the bank accept industry standard checks printed elsewhere?
- What is the charge for a bounced check?
- Are canceled checks returned with the monthly statements? If not, what are the charges for having a canceled check returned?
- What fees are charged, if any, to withdraw cash or make a point-of-purchase transaction (for groceries or gas, for example) with my ATM card? Am I charged a fee to speak to a teller rather than use the ATM for a transaction? Am I charged if I use another bank's ATM, even if they are in the same "ATM network?"
- What online banking options are offered (assuming you're interested)?