Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

How to File Your Taxes for Free This Year

By Maurie Backman – Updated Feb 8, 2020 at 12:10PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Good news: You may not have to spend a dime to submit your 2019 return.

Tax season is now well under way, which means if you haven't started gathering your paperwork and combing through your records, it's time to get moving. The good news? Depending on your income level, you may not need to pay a dime to file your upcoming return.

How free file software works

If you earn less than $69,000 a year, you're eligible to use free file software. The IRS partners with various tax prep services to make this software available, and you can access it directly through the agency's website.

Messy pile of tax forms


The upside of using free file software is that you're less likely to make a mistake on your return by submitting it electronically. In fact, the error rate for electronic returns is less than 1%, whereas among paper returns, it's a whopping 21%. Make a mistake on your taxes, and you could wind up getting your return rejected or having your refund delayed. And if you're not a particularly high earner, waiting longer to get that money could put you in tough spot financially, especially if you're counting on it to pay bills you've already incurred.

The other great thing about using free file software is that it's designed to alert you to the various tax credits you may be eligible for. The Earned Income Tax Credit, for example, is worth up to $6,557 and is available to low-income filers, and if you file electronically, you're less likely to miss out on it. There are also different credits specifically designed to provide financial relief for parents, so it pays to see what tax breaks you're eligible for.

Other types of free assistance

In addition to getting to file your taxes for free, you may be eligible for extra assistance depending on what your income looks like. If you earn less than $56,000 a year, you can get live help at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. These locally run sites match you up with an IRS-trained volunteer to walk you through your tax filing. You can use the IRS's lookup tool to find a site in your neck of the woods.

Furthermore, if you're 60 or older, you may be entitled to assistance via the TCE, or Tax Counseling for the Elderly program. To qualify, you must have an annual income under $56,000. Those who volunteer for the TCE program are particularly well-versed in tax issues that pertain to seniors, so it's a good option to explore. For example, if you're trying to figure out how to account for things like retirement plan withdrawals or pension income, a TCE representative can generally walk you through it.

Get moving on your taxes

The sooner you file your tax return, the sooner you'll get your refund (if you're eligible for one), and the sooner you'll be able to check one potentially stressful task off your list. You have until April 15 to submit your taxes this year, and if you don't have to shell out money to do so, there's really no sense in delaying.

The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
S&P 500 Returns

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 10/07/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.