Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Abbott's Proclaim XR Neurostimulation Implant Device Said to Reduce Pain

By Brian Orelli, PhD - Jan 23, 2020 at 1:27PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The recently launched system has helped the medical device company's struggling neurology business.

At the 2020 North American Neuromodulation Society annual meeting, Abbott (ABT 0.71%) reported data from a clinical trial testing its Proclaim XR neurostimulation implant in patients with chronic pain. The system was able to reduce pain catastrophizing scale scores (PCS), which measures the psychological aspects of pain, by an average of 62%.

Using another measure for pain, the Oswestry Disability Index (ODI), 78% of patients had a score of "severe," "crippling," or "bed bound," at the start of the study, which was reduced to just 29% of patients after six months of having the implant -- with none of the patients reported as "bed bound." At the other end of the scale, 71% of people in the clinical trial had a minimal or moderate ODI score after six months of using the Proclaim XR.

Man with his hands on his head

Image source: Getty Images.

Abbott's Proclaim XR system is adjustable, allowing doctors to increase the strength of the neurostimulation if the patient isn't satisfied with the amount of pain reduction. Abbot has developed batteries that don't need to be charged, allowing the implant to function for up to 10 years when set to the lowest stimulation.

The healthcare company launched the Proclaim XR in the fourth quarter of 2019. The company doesn't breakout individual sales, but Robert Ford, Abbott's president and chief operating officer, said the launch produced a "modest improvement" in the company's neurology business, which struggled in 2019 with U.S. sales down 4.2% year over year.

With an estimated 50 million Americans living with chronic pain and new clinical trial data showing the system helps patients, there would seem to be room for further improvement.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Abbott Laboratories Stock Quote
Abbott Laboratories
ABT
$113.24 (0.71%) $0.80

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning service.

Stock Advisor Returns
331%
 
S&P 500 Returns
115%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 05/20/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.