During the home-buying process, when it comes time to apply for a mortgage, the vast majority of Americans choose a 30-year fixed-rate loan, and it's easy to understand why. After all, you can afford a larger home and keep your payments relatively low with a longer loan term. However, there are some pretty compelling reasons to consider a 15-year mortgage for your next home, and the numbers behind the shorter loan term may surprise you.
Reasons to consider a 15-year mortgage
There are several benefits to using a 15-year mortgage, including...
Lower interest rate: 15-year mortgage interest rates are significantly lower than what you can get for a 30-year. As of this writing, the national average rate for a 15-year mortgage was 3.24%, well below the 4.01% you can expect from a 30-year loan.
Less interest: Not only is the interest rate lower on a 15-year mortgage, but the faster amortization schedule means you'll pay a lot less interest over time than you would on a 30-year. Based on today's interest rates, here's the difference it would make on a $200,000 loan.
Build equity faster: Because more of your payment goes toward the principal, a 15-year mortgage allows you to quickly build equity in your home. At the current mortgage rates, just 30% of your first payment on a 30-year loan is applied toward the principal, with the other 70% going toward interest. However, 62% of your first payment on a 15-year loan is principal repayment. And the difference gets even wider as time goes on.
Drawbacks to keep in mind
The most obvious drawback is that your monthly payment on a 15-year mortgage will be higher than a 30-year mortgage payment on the same home. If you buy a home and obtain a $200,000 mortgage, you can expect to pay about $450 more per month on a 15-year mortgage than a 30-year.
Another drawback is the amount of "house" you can afford to buy. Using the standard rule that your mortgage payment shouldn't be more than 28% of your total income, a family with annual household income of $75,000 could get approved for a mortgage payment of $1,750 per month, as long as their other debts weren't excessive. With a 30-year mortgage, this means that you could afford to buy a home worth approximately $341,000, assuming the national average cost of property taxes and insurance, and a 20% down payment. If you choose a 15-year mortgage, your affordability drops to $236,000.
While I never advocate buying a house at the top of your budget unless it's absolutely necessary, the affordability issue should be taken into consideration. However, if you can afford a house that meets your needs while using a 15-year mortgage, it's worth looking into.
The numbers speak for themselves
Let's say you're in the market for your first home, and you decide on a house that costs $150,000. With a 20% down payment, this means you'll need to obtain a mortgage for $120,000.
A standard 30-year mortgage would result in a $573.59 monthly payment for principal and interest, and over the life of the loan, you'll end up paying $206,492 -- $86,492 in interest. On the other hand, while a 15-year mortgage would result in a higher $842.62 payment, your total interest cost would plunge to just $31,671.
In other words, while your monthly payment would be 47% higher, you'll pay off your house twice as fast and pay 63% less interest.
If you can afford it, it's definitely worth considering
On a personal note, when my wife and I bought our first home a few years ago, we decided to buy a house that was well within our financial comfort zone and finance it with a 15-year mortgage, a decision that served us well. Because of the accelerated principal repayment, after just a few years, we had built up enough equity that we were in a position to sell the home and put a down payment on our "forever" house.
I highly recommend 15-year mortgages for younger buyers in particular, as it is a smart way to build equity at a time in your life when it's extremely important to make wise financial decisions. Limiting your home search to what you can afford with a 15-year mortgage may seem like a sacrifice in the meantime, and it is, but it is a sacrifice that can pay off tremendously in the long run.
Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.