Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Better Dividend Stock: Home Depot Inc. or Lowe’s Companies Inc.?

By Demitri Kalogeropoulos - Feb 4, 2016 at 12:00PM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

Comparing the two home improvement giants' growing dividends.

If you're shopping for a growing dividend, you're bound to bump up against rival retailers Home Depot (HD 1.75%) and Lowe's (LOW 1.54%), who last hiked their payouts by 26% and 21%, respectively. The home improvement giants' record profits also point to double-digit dividend raises in the year ahead.

So let's compare the two payouts to see which one income investors should prefer right now.


Home Depot


Dividend Yield



Payout Ratio



Last Raise



Profit Growth



Profit growth is expected for calendar year 2015. Data source: S&P Capital IQ.

At a glance, it looks like a toss-up. Both companies yield just shy of 2%. Each payout ratio is substantial, meaning that management prioritizes returning cash to shareholders, but also low enough that dividends could rise before soaking up 50% of earnings.

But to really evaluate the strength of these dividends, you have to consider the retailer's operating results.

Comparing the latest business trends
On most of the key retailing operating metrics, Home Depot has its smaller rival beat. Sales at existing locations were up 6% last quarter, vs. a 5% rise for Lowe's. That gap has held up for years, as Home Depot booked 6% higher comps in 2014, compared to a 4% increase at Lowe's. While checkout lines are long at both chains, the customer-traffic crown goes to Home Depot.

The same is true for profitability. Operating margin has expanded for both retailers since the lows of the housing crisis, but it has rebounded faster at Home Depot, while growing to a much stronger 13% of sales:

HD Operating Margin (TTM) Chart

HD Operating Margin (TTM) data by YCharts.

That's why even in years like 2015, where Lowe's is expected to boost profits at a slightly higher pace, Home Depot shareholders don't have to worry that their dividend hikes will fall far behind.

Cash generation and spending priorities
Cash generation is strong for both companies, but the edge again goes to Home Depot. Its operating cash flow soared 18% over the last nine months, up to $7.4 billion as Lowe's cash flow ticked lower by 3% to $4.5 billion.

HD Cash from Operations (Annual) Chart

HD Cash from Operations (Annual) data by YCharts.

Both companies have major spending commitments, including plowing money back into the business. As it has already finished expanding its store base, Home Depot doesn't direct much investing that way, but it still spends heavily in areas like e-commerce shipping fulfillment. Lowe's isn't done growing yet, with as many as 20 new locations set to open in the next year.

Finally, Home Depot's management appears more commited to delivering cash to shareholders through dividends rather than stock repurchases. In the last nine months, the company has directed $2.3 billion, or 32% of total cash returns, toward the dividend payout. In contrast, Lowe's has spent just $700 million, or 17% of its total, on dividends while the remaining 83% of cash returns -- $3.4 billion -- went to share buybacks.

Ultimately, both dividends are well covered by improving operating results, and Home Depot is just as likely as Lowe's to announce a significant boost to its payout this year. But for the best shot at long-term dividend appreciation, Home Depot seems like the right choice for income investors who want exposure to the home improvement market.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

The Home Depot, Inc. Stock Quote
The Home Depot, Inc.
$279.08 (1.75%) $4.81
Lowe's Companies, Inc. Stock Quote
Lowe's Companies, Inc.
$177.36 (1.54%) $2.69

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
S&P 500 Returns

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 07/03/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.