Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Shares of HD Supply Are Up Today

By Lou Whiteman – Updated Aug 11, 2020 at 10:20AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

The company is forgoing a planned split in favor of selling its concrete and construction supply unit.

What happened

Shares of HD Supply Holdings (HDS) jumped 11% on Tuesday morning after the company said it has an agreement to sell its construction and industrial business to an affiliate of private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) in a deal valued at $2.9 billion.

So what

HD Supply is a distributor of industrial and construction supplies. The company at one point was part of Home Depot, but was sold to a consortium of private equity firms including CD&R in 2007.

The PE firms returned HD Supply to the public markets in 2013 and sold off their shares, but CD&R apparently has kept in touch. In August 2017, the firm bought the waterworks division of HD Supply for $2.5 billion, changing its name to Core & Main. And on Tuesday, the firm returned again to buy another chunk of the business.

Cement pouring out of a truck.

Image source: Getty Images.

The assets to be sold are known as the White Cap business, a distributor of specialty concrete and construction products. CD&R is buying the business and combining it with rival Construction Supply Group, with CD&R holding 65% of the resulting entity and Sterling Group, owner of Construction Supply, holding the remaining 35%.

HD Supply said it expects net proceeds of $2.5 billion from the transaction, which will be used to return capital to shareholders, repay debt, and fund potential mergers and acquisitions.

Now what

The deal marks a change in strategy for HD Supply, which last September announced plans to split the White Cap business off as a stand-alone public company. A lot has changed since then, and management seemingly decided the price CD&R was willing to pay justified the tax hit from selling the assets and forgoing a spin-out.

Post-deal, HD Supply will be a more specialized company focused on facilities maintenance supplies. The resulting company should be able to reliably generate cash to be put to work either consolidating its market or through returns to shareholders, which was reason enough for investors to rally into the shares on Tuesday morning.

Lou Whiteman has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool owns shares of and recommends Home Depot and recommends the following options: long January 2021 $120 calls on Home Depot and short January 2021 $210 calls on Home Depot. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

HD Supply Holdings, Inc. Stock Quote
HD Supply Holdings, Inc.
HDS
The Home Depot, Inc. Stock Quote
The Home Depot, Inc.
HD
$275.94 (-0.86%) $-2.39

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
326%
 
S&P 500 Returns
102%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 10/01/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.