Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Why Nikola Stock Is Surging Today

By John Rosevear – Sep 8, 2020 at 10:44AM

You’re reading a free article with opinions that may differ from The Motley Fool’s Premium Investing Services. Become a Motley Fool member today to get instant access to our top analyst recommendations, in-depth research, investing resources, and more. Learn More

GM is taking a $2 billion stake and will provide the electric truck start-up with a lot of help.

What happened 

Shares of electric truck start-up Nikola (NKLA -3.35%) were sharply higher on Tuesday morning, after the company announced that auto giant General Motors (GM -2.67%) is taking a $2 billion stake and will build its Badger electric pickup truck. 

As of 10:30 a.m. EDT, Nikola's shares were up about 38.5% from Friday's closing price.

So what

This is a huge deal for Nikola, which just checked off a whole bunch of boxes on its go-to-market to-do list. Here are the key points. 

  • GM will engineer, test, and manufacture Nikola's electric Badger pickup. The Badger will use GM's Ultium batteries, to be manufactured by GM's joint venture with LG Chem, and the Hydrotec fuel cells developed and manufactured by GM's joint venture with Honda Motor (HMC -0.90%).
  • GM will also supply Ultium batteries, Hydrotec fuel cells, and related parts for Nikola's upcoming electric Class 8 (tractor-trailer) trucks. 
A prototype Nikola Badger, an electric full-size pickup truck.

GM will engineer, test, and manufacture Nikola's electric Badger pickup, in both battery-electric and fuel-cell versions. Image source: Nikola Corporation.

And here's what GM gets in return for engineering and testing services and access to its global parts bin. 

  • GM will receive $2 billion of newly issued Nikola stock (at $41.93 per share), and the right to nominate one director to Nikola's board. 
  • GM will receive "cost-plus" payments from Nikola for the parts it supplies and for the contract manufacturing of the Badger. Nikola will also cover the costs of tooling and setting up the Badger's assembly line. 
  • GM will retain 80% of the electric-vehicle tax credits generated by the Badger trucks it manufactures, and will have the first right of refusal to buy the remaining 20% from Nikola. (These tax credits will help it avoid penalties related to the sale of internal-combustion vehicles in California and other U.S. states.)

Note that GM is not investing any cash in Nikola in return for its stake -- and that Nikola doesn't have to pay GM any cash up front. 

Now what

On paper at least, both companies stand to do very well here. Nikola estimates that it will save more than $4 billion in battery and fuel cell costs over the 10-year life of the GM deal, and an additional $1 billion-plus versus what it would have spent to engineer, validate, and begin manufacturing the Badger on its own. 

For its part, GM estimates that it will realize a total of over $4 billion in benefits from the payments from Nikola, the added manufacturing scale to its battery and fuel-cell programs, the tax credits, and the potential appreciation of its Nikola shares.

For auto investors holding Nikola shares, this deal is a powerful validation of the company's business plan and technology -- and a big step toward getting its trucks to market. That's why the stock is surging today. 

John Rosevear owns shares of General Motors. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Invest Smarter with The Motley Fool

Join Over 1 Million Premium Members Receiving…

  • New Stock Picks Each Month
  • Detailed Analysis of Companies
  • Model Portfolios
  • Live Streaming During Market Hours
  • And Much More
Get Started Now

Stocks Mentioned

Nikola Corporation Stock Quote
Nikola Corporation
NKLA
$2.31 (-3.35%) $0.08
General Motors Stock Quote
General Motors
GM
$39.38 (-2.67%) $-1.08
Honda Motor Stock Quote
Honda Motor
HMC
$24.21 (-0.90%) $0.22

*Average returns of all recommendations since inception. Cost basis and return based on previous market day close.

Related Articles

Motley Fool Returns

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Market-beating stocks from our award-winning analyst team.

Stock Advisor Returns
356%
 
S&P 500 Returns
118%

Calculated by average return of all stock recommendations since inception of the Stock Advisor service in February of 2002. Returns as of 11/28/2022.

Discounted offers are only available to new members. Stock Advisor list price is $199 per year.

Premium Investing Services

Invest better with The Motley Fool. Get stock recommendations, portfolio guidance, and more from The Motley Fool's premium services.